Tuesday 10 March 2015

Let's March!

It's been two months. TWO MONTHS! I can hardly believe it! And with those two months under our belts, it's time for some serious re-evaluation. What's working? What isn't? If you remember from my section of the post last week, things hadn't been working so hot in February, which lead me to declare March to be time to respawn. 
"In video games respawning is the recreation of an entity after its death or destruction, perhaps after losing one of its lives."
From the looks of Kate's post, she's also taking a new tact for March, even Sam's coming at her goals from a little bit of a different viewpoint this month. This is, for me at least, the only way to succeed in video games, and in life. If something's not working, re-evaluate and come at it from another angle. 
No specific over-arching goals for the Jedi Council this month. March is a chance to re-evaluate and find new ways to succeed. 'Cause we're going to, even if we have to respawn a few more times.

Andrea:
Oh March! I hope you're ready for me! February may have knocked me down, but I'm back up and raring to go. 
I'm rehashing my goals, and trying to make them more specific (most importantly, inputting them into my calendar, making them appointments with myself, I've long said "If it's not in my calendar, it's not happening.") Firstly, no more steps goals. I can't remember the last time I had less than 10,000 steps in a day, and I've just moved to a new place that is a half-hour walk from work. Let's just say that this isn't going to be a problem, and therefore no longer a goal that needs to be achieved - I'm totally there.
Running. In the midst of my not-so-great February I completely fell off my Zombie 5K training. Now that I've moved, I'm ready to start up again, hopefully I should be able to finish the training in time for the Sun Run on April 19th. So the new goal is to follow my schedule of running 3 times a week.
Eating. While my diet wasn't too terrible in February, now that my kitchen's unpacked at my new place, it's time to get back into eating properly. One of the things I've rediscovered in this two months is how much I enjoy cooking. There's nothing quite like throwing a bunch of ingredients together and having a delicious things come out the other side. Like this frittata. You guys, I love frittata. 
Strength training. This is the big one. The one I've fallen down on the most since we've started. I try to find time in my schedule to work out, but for some reason, unlike running, it doesn't seem to work. So, I've told my lunchtime walking buddy (Craig from thenoblehero.com) that I'm going to be abandoning him 2-3 lunches a week and using the gym in our office to workout. 
Those are my respawn plans for March. Well, the fitness respawn goals. I'm also respawning some personal goals; such as making sure that these posts go out on Fridays, like they're supposed to, and restarting my Movie Monday posts, as well finishing up my meetup.com series. Oh March, we're going to have fun, you and I.

Kate:
Hey there March! I've gotta say, I'm feeling pretty good about you. I'll be the first to admit that I went into February with a bit of a defeatist mindset. I was expecting it to be tough work, and painful, and I wasn't truly expecting to succeed. This is a pretty typical strategy for me - set myself up for failure, so when I do fail, I can say "see? I knew I couldn't do it."
Well, no more!
March is round two of the fitness quests, and this time I'm pumped. I figure if having a poor attitude and not trying as hard as I should have got me as far as it did in February, I can do wonders with just a little more will power. So....
The gym! I'm buying another rec center pass. Having it in my wallet and knowing I could go anytime I wanted and it was already paid for was actually really helpful. Even if I only felt like I could go for 15 minutes, I didn't feel like I was wasting a punch card or blowing my money. This month I'm going to aim to go to the gym twice a week, and do an hour of exercise while there. If I go 3 times a week, awesome. But no pressure.
The great outdoors! Spring is truly here in Vancouver, and I'm not going to waste it! Once a week I need to get out and do some fresh air exercise. Walking, biking, or swimming (though probably not yet!) are all valid.
No more just desserts! I need to curb my sweet tooth. I did pretty well in January, but February saw me sneaking back into the chocolate again, and that just won't do. So, I only get one sugary treat a week. I know Sam has been following that rule and I feel like emulating Sam in this whole endeavour is probably a pretty safe bet.
So, March...let's do it! I'm excited!

Sam: 
After a very intense two months of diet and exercise I gave myself permission to take a week off. While I haven't succumbed going big back to my old eating habits I have been less strict this week about what I've been eating this week. I also thought I needed a short break from my 5am runs. I sure was right I no longer feel that bone level weary exhaustion I was having.
As I am now in Calgary on a mini-holiday (I came here to watch curling event; The Tim Hortons Brier) I am giving myself until Monday when I return to continue being a little lax in my eating and exercise. Although that means I'm not getting up for me 5am runs, I haven't given up in exercise entirely. I just got back from a quick workout at the gym in the hotel where I just discovered that Running on a treadmill is WAY easier than running outside. This was my first workout in a gym since I started on the running path.



No comments:

Post a Comment